Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Draft Day Recap

It was a great day for the Blazers. In 6 draft day moves, the Blazers added Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Joel Freeland, Sergio Rodriguez, Raef LaFrentz, Dan Dickau and 3 (!) future second round picks. However, I would not be surprised at all if this day is not yet done.

Basically, here is our depth chart as it stands now:

PG: Jack/Blake/Dickau/Rodriguez
SG: Roy/Dixon
SF: Webster/Outlaw/Miles
PF: Randolph/Aldridge
C: LaFrentz/Skinner/Ha/Freeland

As it stands now, we have 15 players on the roster assuming Joel and Voshon do not re-sign. Looking at the above, it is easy to spot the holes and the logjams.

Some thoughts...

- Z-Bo's days in Portland are over. We have a surplus of bigs, and he's the odd-man out based on contract size and attitude issues. Look for him to be moved for a small forward.

- Steve Patterson and Kevin Pritchard hit serious home runs today. We brought in a helluva lotta talent, while purging ourselves of some misfits.

- Darius=goner.

- We are not done yet. Z-Bo and Darius are still here, and we have 3 second round picks and several other good bargaining chips. Look for another potentially big deal to come.

- If today's actions are any indication, it looks like Allen will remain the owner of this team.

- Everyone the team brought in today is a hard worker, a great community guy, and very coachable. Once the fanbase realizes this, it will go a lon way towards our reconnection efforts.

All in all, I'm excited about the future of this team. We have now established a quality young player with all-star potential at every position except center, and all players are McMillan type of guys. Brandon Roy is going to come in and contribute right away, Jack and Webster will have great sophmore seasons, and Aldridge will be raw at first but will come on strong in the second half and develop into a very nice PF. The chemistry appears to be already there once headcases like Z-Bo and Darius are weeded out. I expect another painful season due to inexpierience from these guys next year, unless of course we make another move to bring in some serious veteran talent, in which case we can contend for the playoffs. After next year, I expect season after season of exciting, winning basketball from these guys, and for the first time in quite a while, I am really truely excited about my Blazers again. Way to go guys.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Mortimer said...

Well, while I was sad/angry to see Telfair go (I'd rather give up Outlaw if we gotta lose a youngin' with potential), I can't argue with what we ended up with in the end.

My two favorite draftees in Roy and Aldridge, no more question marks about who the PG of the future is (man I still wish I coulda seen Telfair and Jack compete head to head and really PROVE who the better one was), and more than enough signs that we got big moves still coming.

Given time to grow, who can argue with a Roy/Webster/Jack/Aldridge/Z-Bo lineup? That means Z-bo is second or third option (as he should be), we got 3 great defenders and a shotblocker who can actually score as well, EVERYONE on the floor can shoot... it's a good defensive/offensive lineup.

And I don't see Webster as playing SF or vice versa... I see both Webster and Roy playing shooting guard, or two equalish wing players. And I like that. Both starting, playing alongside each other, and not confined by a SF/SG label.

It'll work.

But man, I was worried when the day started... the Telfair trade sounded HORRIBLE, Raef LaFrentz is not a good player at 11.5 million a god damn year, and I really did not like Dan Dickau and I can't stand so-called "local" kids being on the team just cause they are from a few hours away from Portland. If they are good like Webster and Roy, well, that's one thing... but Dickau is not necessary for us.

But it turned into GREAT draft picks, and more hope for the future. I'm very sorry to see Telfair go, and I wish him the best on the Celtics. I'll get NBA League pass to see how much we'll regret that...

Mortimer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter