Draft Day Recap
It was a great day for the Blazers. In 6 draft day moves, the Blazers added Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Joel Freeland, Sergio Rodriguez, Raef LaFrentz, Dan Dickau and 3 (!) future second round picks. However, I would not be surprised at all if this day is not yet done.
Basically, here is our depth chart as it stands now:
As it stands now, we have 15 players on the roster assuming Joel and Voshon do not re-sign. Looking at the above, it is easy to spot the holes and the logjams.
- Z-Bo's days in Portland are over. We have a surplus of bigs, and he's the odd-man out based on contract size and attitude issues. Look for him to be moved for a small forward.
- Steve Patterson and Kevin Pritchard hit serious home runs today. We brought in a helluva lotta talent, while purging ourselves of some misfits.
- We are not done yet. Z-Bo and Darius are still here, and we have 3 second round picks and several other good bargaining chips. Look for another potentially big deal to come.
- If today's actions are any indication, it looks like Allen will remain the owner of this team.
- Everyone the team brought in today is a hard worker, a great community guy, and very coachable. Once the fanbase realizes this, it will go a lon way towards our reconnection efforts.
All in all, I'm excited about the future of this team. We have now established a quality young player with all-star potential at every position except center, and all players are McMillan type of guys. Brandon Roy is going to come in and contribute right away, Jack and Webster will have great sophmore seasons, and Aldridge will be raw at first but will come on strong in the second half and develop into a very nice PF. The chemistry appears to be already there once headcases like Z-Bo and Darius are weeded out. I expect another painful season due to inexpierience from these guys next year, unless of course we make another move to bring in some serious veteran talent, in which case we can contend for the playoffs. After next year, I expect season after season of exciting, winning basketball from these guys, and for the first time in quite a while, I am really truely excited about my Blazers again. Way to go guys.